Are you ready to learn how student surveys can help your teachers grow? Contact us today and we can help!
What Do We Do?
- My Student Survey administers the STeP (Survey of TEacher Practice) survey and provides detailed feedback report to teachers. This survey has been tested thoroughly for its validity and reliability. For more information on the validity study, please the full report on our research page.
- My Student Survey provides education organizations with technical assistance in developing and validating a student survey of teacher practice that is aligned with local teaching standards. This allows organizations to create a student survey with teacher buy-in and participation that is completely owned by the organization. For more information, please see our section on creating your own survey.
- How Was the STeP Survey Developed?
- Who is Using the Survey?
- Why Student Surveys?
- Why Choose My Student Survey?
- What Do We Provide with the STeP Survey?
How Was the STeP Survey Developed?
- Survey was developed using an established validation framework including teacher and student interviews
- Questions ask about research-based teaching practices
- Questions align with valid and reliable observation rubrics such as Danielson’s Framework for Teaching© and CLASS©
- Questions have been extensively tested for validity and reliability with more than 15,000 students and 900 teachers as part of Georgia’s Race to the Top initiative
Who is Using the STeP Survey?My Student Survey has developed surveys for organizations across the country including large districts such as Baltimore City Schools, statewide teachers' unions such as New York and Rhode Island, and education organizations that are nationwide. The STeP survey has been administered in states, districts, traditional public schools, independent schools, and charter schools in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, New York, Rhode Island, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Texas, and many more (see map). See reports about My Student Survey from the MET project and the Regional Education Lab (REL) through Wested. We've also been referenced in the Hanover Report, the AIR resource guide, Bellwether Education Partners, Education First, and by the School Superintendents Association.
Why Student Surveys?
- Valid and reliable measure of teacher practice
- Available for all teachers (co-teachers, non-tested subjects)
- Provides feedback on specific teacher practice
- Cost and time effective (survey takes about 15-20 minutes)
- Allows schools to give students a voice and an active role in the classroom
Why Choose My Student Survey?
- We are researchers, former teachers, and have worked in a large urban district leading teacher evaluation. We use each of these perspectives to provide you the best product and service.
- We have worked collaboratively with teachers and unions to develop engagement and buy-in for student surveys.
- We provide web-based, user-friendly feedback reports.
- We use advanced screening procedures to eliminate invalid student responses. This helps with validity and teacher engagement.
What Do We Provide with the STeP Survey?
- All logistics for survey administration and data collection including guidebooks, webinars, and in-person trainings
- Online or paper based surveys
- Multiple screening procedures to eliminate invalid surveys
- Detailed feedback report created for each teacher
- Professional development assistance